Thursday, July 3, 2008

Day 17 - July 3

Day 17 – July 3, 2008

Terrific Thursday. Today was the exact opposite of yesterday. Today the bikers enjoyed clear blue skies, a light breeze, cool temperatures, a flat route and a great road for cycling. Today was also the hardest day to be a support driver. It wasn’t the support role that was difficult; it was being not able to bike that made it difficult. It was a perfect day and route for cycling and I wasn’t able to get on a bike and ride along. I guess that made yesterday the easiest day to be a support driver as I was quite happy not cycling into the wind.

Gary and Matt made up the miles they lost yesterday. They were riding well and I could estimate to within a few minutes of when they would arrive at the spot I was waiting for them. I would drive out 10 miles ahead and wait. In about 30 minutes they would arrive. They kept this up all day for the 130 + miles that they rode. Spirits were high as they ended a very successful day.

This trip is providing me an opportunity to do something that I have never done before, pull the car over and check out Historical Markers. For years I have driven by these and have never taken the time to stop and learn a little history of that particular area. As this trip is providing me the time, I am stopping to check them out. I’ve been posting photos of these as they provide additional insight on the area and its history. When I joined the team last week, Gary told me to take photos along the route of the sights and scenery that they would see and the traveled across the country. Sometimes I get it right and I will have a photo in support of something they mention in their blog. I also miss many photo opportunities as a travel from one stop to the next. Highway 20 has a speed limit of 65 mph through both Wyoming and Nebraska. At times I will spot a perfect photo opportunity but I am unable to pull the SUV to the side of the road for the photo as an eighteen wheeler is bearing down behind me. But, I make numerous U-turns to go back and get the photo.

Tomorrow will be our last day in Nebraska and then its home to Iowa, at least for me.

Have a safe and enjoyable Independence Holiday.

Bob

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OK, we now have proof that you are actually out there on the road. (We saw your picture!!) Although, we were pretty confident those were your fingers wrapped around that Bud Light can yesterday. Happy 4th of July!!

Jan, Bob and Sam

 

View My Stats